Translate

Friday, October 28, 2011

October Fog

I love this time of year.  The terrible heat and drought of summer has finally departed, the angle of the sun makes for some really nice views that are so much more appealing than the harshness of summer.  Best of all, I love the foggy nights.  This week we had a soupy night that drew me out of the house.  I grabbed my camera and headed out to enjoy it and ended up staying out from 1:45 am to 7:30 am.  Most people think it's odd that I would prefer spending all night enjoying the sights and sounds of nature rather than sleeping, but I've never really been normal by any standards.

Areas where the cloud cover was still a few feet off the ground were amazing - to seeing the light illuminating the different cloud layers and passing through the tunnel underneath the veil of mist, hearing nothing but my own footsteps or my car's tires crunching on the gravel in areas where I was driving.

Awesome creepy spot
Then there was the little country road.  No houses.  No businesses.  No traffic of any kind.  Total darkness and total silence.  It was the most deliciously creepy experience ever.  I have great night vision, but it was so dark that I couldn't even tell if there was anything to photograph.  I set up my camera on the tripod and pointed it north.  All I could see was a ridge of trees far in the distance but had no idea what was between me and the horizon, so I had no idea what would show up in my photo, if anything.  Who doesn't love a surprise, right?  I was just hoping that it wouldn't be a photo of a house because that would spoil my experience of being out in the middle of nowhere.  As you can see from these two photos, definitely the middle of nowhere.  Not a house or barn in sight.
Another view of awesome creepy spot


 All those hours out in the fog and yet I took very few photos because I was too busy enjoying the sensations of the creepiness, the darkness, the eerie fog, the almost total silence, etc.  It's amazing how the fog amplifies some sounds...or maybe it was being alone in a creepy place that did the amplification.  My heartbeat thumped along pretty loudly, as did the sound of my footsteps.  The occasional thundering footsteps of elephants were probably actually mice or bunnies.  Bird songs were beautiful and haunting and made my hair stand on end.  I wish I could convey the whole experience to you all, and I wish I had more photos to show, but please enjoy these few offerings.  Thanks for stopping by.
Water tower that appeared out of the fog

Grain silos
Farm yard
Wonderful trees

No comments:

Post a Comment